Published: 2:00 AM - 01/27/12
GOSHEN — It took a jury of 10 men and two women just 4½ hours of deliberations to find Cory Byrd guilty of murdering of 4-year-old Marc Bookal.
Marc's mother, Christina Bookal, watched from the back row on one side of the courtroom gallery; Marc's father, Yul Bookal, watched from the other side. Jurors sent the judge a note at 12:10 p.m. Thursday saying they had reached a verdict.
As the jury voted "not guilty" on the intentional murder charge, a small gasp escaped from one of the friends who came to support Christina Bookal.
Byrd, 32, was stoic as the jury foreman pronounced him guilty on the second murder count — guilty of killing Marc with utter, depraved indifference to the consequences of his actions. The jury also convicted him on two felony evidence-tampering charges.
Read more: http://www.recordonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20120127/NEWS/201270357
- Marc Bookal's mom, Christina, treasures memories of her slain son
- The Bookal timeline
- NEWSWATCH: Cory Byrd found guilty of murdering 4-year-old Marc Bookal
- Jury gets Byrd murder case
- Marc's mother on guilty verdict for Byrd: 'God will get him in the end. Justice was done'
- DNA confirms identity of boy - Marc Bookal - in Byrd's murder case
- Expert says Cory Byrd, on trial in Bookal killing, wrote threat letter
- Witness: Byrd admits Bookal slaying
- Judge denies mistrial request in Bookal killing case
- Byrd's letters home to girlfriend may have borne code
- Slain son, 4, 'was my heart' Christina Bookal says in recording
- Mom recounts search for son, Marc Bookal
- VIDEO: Marc Bookal's mother testifies at Bryd trial
- Doctor tells of Marc Bookal's burns in months prior to death
- ADA: Cory Byrd beat Marc Bookal to death